Collect-Stabilize-Concentrate-Transport-Extract-Store All in a Single Tube:
iSWAB-Blood is an efficient system for the concentration and long term room temperature stabilization of gDNA and analytes from blood drops. Investigation of metabolic genetic disorders has traditionally been performed by collecting several blood drops through a minimally invasive procedure called a heel prick. This technique involves spotting 5-6 blood drops on filter paper such as Guthrie, FTA, or FTA-like cards.
Despite its widespread use, there are several drawbacks to these sample collection methods:
- Long drying time after collection (2-3 hrs)
- Proper collection requires the blood drop to go through both sides of the paper within a designated circle (30-40% resampling rate)
- Low yields and highly fragmented DNA (< 5 kb) unsuitable for NGS, epigenetics, or microarray analysis
- Laborious and time consuming sample processing including card punching and placement into a tube or 96-well plate
iSWAB-Blood overcomes the limitations of filter-paper based blood drop collection. The device is equipped with a squeezing insert to enable the efficient removal of blood from the swab, and into a proprietary DNA, RNA, and metabolite stabilizing solution for long term room temperature storage and transport.
- Liquid blood collection: No drying time required, <5 min collection process
- Collected sample is ready for room temperature shipment and long term storage with no special conditions (i.e. humidity control or air tight
- Unlike FTA or similar cards, extracting DNA or measuring blood analytes does not require any front end prep and/or card punching
- DNA extraction can be performed with a standard whole blood purification protocol, yielding 2- 8 µg of high MW gDNA)
- Easy access to the sample for screening and/or in depth analysis purposes (genomics & metabolomics) – reduces resampling and assay failures
- Manual and automation compatible with no pre-prep process
- LIMS-compatible unique barcodes included on each iSWAB device for efficient traceability, chain of custody, and storage purposes
- Scalable and easy to process: Manual and automation friendly sample processing